CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1289597
Date first listed:
17-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, HALL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289597.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 12:51:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chicheley
National Grid Reference:
SP 90458 45863

Details

SP 94 NW CHICHELEY HALL LANE

3/16 Church of St.Lawrence

17.11.66

GV I

Parish Church. C14 nave and N. aisle, C15 central tower, C16 clerestory and 2 storey S. porch, chancel dated 1708 on rainwater head. Rubble limestone with ashlar dressings to chancel, ironstone to tower. Flat lead roofs, tiles and stone coped gable to S. porch. Battlemented parapets to nave and N. aisle. 4 clerestory windows, 1 C15 window to S. walk of nave, C14 W. window and blocked N. door. Tall tower with shallow buttresses and long C15 windows below string under paired bellchamber windows, battlemented parapet with string at foot, large gargoyles at corners and central wrought iron scroll weathervane chancel, E. wall has Corinthian pilasters on plinths each side supporting sections of entablature and pediment with trophy of arms in tympanum and vases on corners. Between the pilasters are 2 niches with shell heads, architraves supported on pilasters and projecting moulded aprons. S. elevation has cornice carried round and similar pilaster at E. end. 2 windows with C19 gothic tracery inserted, enclosed in architrave under bolection frieze, cornice and segmental pediment, flanking a central door with eaves architrave,carved scull brackets supporting frieze, cornice and scroll pediment with central coat of arms. (Carving is by William Oldfield). Interior: Nave has C14 arcade of 3 bays, C18 dados. Tower has C18 ringers gallery, formed into roodloft with screen by J.N. Comper 1905. Tall tower arches and lierne vault above. C18 chancel screen with slender oak Doric columns supporting 3 moulded oak arches with keyblocks, central opening with wrought iron gate with scroll side panels and top with scrolls and foliage. Chancel has enriched plaster ceiling and cornice, panelled dado. Floor of black and white marble. Arcaded reredos with 3 text panels divided by Corinthian pilasters supporting entablature with carved frieze and pediment panel with side scrolls over central panel C18 altar and altar rails with turned barley-sugar balusters. Monuments in N. aisle include Anthony Cave 1554 erected 1576 with skeleton in a shroud on a sarcophagus in front of inscription panel with strapwork scrolls. Above floating on either side of a table are 2 sond and 6 daughters, flanked by caryatids with Doric capitals standing on plinths and supporting a canopy, entablature with frieze of triglypus and roundels, and pediment, Monument to Sir Anthony Chester 1637 and Dame Elizabeth his wife 1629 has effigies kneeling either side of a desk on a flat marble shelf supported and plinth, flanked by fluted marble conrinthian columns and pilasters supporting entablature with floral frieze and large central coat of arms with scroll supports, soffit panelled and enriched. Brass with encised skeleton and shield with Cave arms, Brass to Anthony Cave 1558. Chancel N. wall large black and white marble monument to Sir Anthony Chester 1697 and Mary his wife 1710 with inscription, curved broken pediment and achievement of arms.

Listing NGR: SP9045645864

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
396766
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00976/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nick Jarvis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].