PRIESTROYD MILLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1289646

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Sep-1978

Statutory Address: PRIESTROYD MILLS, FIRTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRIESTROYD MILLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289646 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 16:22:41.

Location

Statutory Address: PRIESTROYD MILLS, FIRTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 14544 15940

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FIRTH STREET 1. 5113 (North Side) Priestroyd Mills SE 1415 39/515 21.3.77. II GV 2. 1835 and 1869. Hammer-dressed stone. Pitched slate roof. Block on corner of Firth Street and Queen Street South 1869. 5 storeys to Firth Street, 4 to Queen Street South. Modillion eaves cornice. Coped gable ends on kneelers. 14 ranges of industrial windows to Queen Street South, 17 to Firth Street. Chief feature is impressive chateau-like tower at the corner, of irregular plan, its acute angle blunted: one storey higher than rest and crowned by steep pitched tiled roof, with gabled lucarnes near top, and elaborate cast iron cresting near apex. Near base is ashlar plaque, inscribed "Priestroyd Mills 1869". Block to east, along Firth Street frontage presumably 1835. One storey. Coped gable ends. 15 round-arched windows with vermiculated voussoirs and plain continuous imposts. 3 windows at west end have mezzanine floor. Chimney (to north of 1835 block) has octagonal red brick stack. Gates (at east end of 1835 block) have 2 cast iron depressed arches, one broad, one very narrow with "Priestroyd Iron Works 1835" in relief. Gates appear to be slightly later: elaborate pattern, ornamental finials.

Listing NGR: SE1454415940

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 339843

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing