CHARNEL HOUSE TO CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1289734
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Mar-1996
Statutory Address:
CHARNEL HOUSE TO CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, DEPTFORD GREEN SE8

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289734.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Jul-2020 at 03:25:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHARNEL HOUSE TO CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, DEPTFORD GREEN SE8

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Greenwich (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 37397 77722

Details

4412 DEPTFORD GREEN SE8

Charnel house to Church of St Nicholas (formerly listed under STOWAGE SE8)

TQ 3777 25/G121 19.10.51 II*

Charnel House to St Nicholas. 1697. Red brick with stone dressings and quoins, tiled roof with restored eaves cornice. Gauged brick arches to windows (now blocked), with cut decoration. Stone capped brick plinth. Windows flanking central door retain original wrought iron grilles. Empty panel over door formerly contained oak relief of Ezekiel's vision of the valley of dry bones, now inside the church. Interior since cleared of bones and converted to community use, with no features of interest. A rare survival of a purpose-built C17 charnel house.

Listing NGR: TQ3739777722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
396509
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13464/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].