Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of STABLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290139.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 00:45:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 75179 79918



6/68 Stables (formerly listed as Stables 17.9.52 at Dodington House) G.V. I

Stables. 1796-1816 by James Wyatt. Limestone ashlar and rubble with slate roofs. 4 ranges each linked by curved, rubble single storey block around square courtyard, paved with setts with radial drainage channels. Classical style. West front has central 2-storey block broken forward, high central round-headed arch with gates ramped up at sides, blind window with cill at ground floor to each side of arch, band course continued round outer wings and inside archway forming imposts for arch, first floor has 6-pane sash to each side of arch, cornice and pediment surmounted by clock tower with clock to east and west, rectangular opening with bell louvres north and south, cornice, domed leaded roof with weathervane; to each side a lower single storey wing of 3 bays, each with 3 blind windows with cills, hipped roofs, plinth under all. To right, a 2-storey block with 3-sided bay, ground floor has central 6-panelled door, sash to left, first floor has sash to left and central large multi-pane lunette, small C20 window at ground floor left, band course below cill of first floor windows, cornice and blocking course. South elevation has 2 single storey connecting blocks in rubble with blind window to left and 2 garage openings to right, one blocked; central 2-storey block with central 6-panelled door with overlight, blind window to each side with 2 panes in upper part to right, first floor has central blind window and 6-pane sash to each side, plinth, band course, cornice and blocking course, central block in rendered rubble with atone quoins. North elevation has central 2-storey block with hipped roof, lower 2-storey block to each side and curved connecting wing at outer sides; to north, an attached lower block with 2 single- storey lean-tos, curved retaining wall for mucking-out area. North elevation has central door with overlight and blind window to each side, 2 panes to upper part to right, all rubble with stone dressings, retaining wall has segmental-headed opening; central block has two 6-pane sashes at first floor, lower side blocks have varied windows and loading doors. Inside the courtyard, the central block of the west range has round-headed arch with tall segmental-headed door to each side, two 6-pane sashes at first floor, band course, cornice, pediment and clock tower; single storey wing to each side has 3-bay arcade of round-headed recesses, each with glazed lunette in the head and 6 panes to central part, varied doors, 2 outer recesses in left block and right recess to right block, blind; cornice below hipped roof. North and south ranges identical, each with central square block with hipped roof, 2 tall round-headed carriage entries and doors, band course, two 6-pane sashes at first floor, cornice and blocking course; to each side a lower 2-bay wing each with 2 round-headed recesses with lunettes as on west range, all blind below lunettes except one north door in south range. All corners except south west linked by curved wing with door, 2-storey block to south west recessed to form corner of courtyard. East range has central block of 2 storeys and 3 windows, ground floor has arcade of 3 round-headed arches, open behind, 3 round-headed recessed bays on rear wall, each with lunette, central bay has 6-pane fixed light (formerly door), 2 outer bays each have C20 door; band course and three 6-pane sashes at first floor, pediment over all; 3-bay single storey wing to each side, all with round-headed blind recesses with lunettes. Interior: southern part of east range retains 6 early C19 loose-boxes with hay racks. (Sources: Verey, D.: Buildings of England Gloucestershire : The Cotswolds. 1970. Country Life LV, 170-75, CXX 1176-9 and 1230-3).

Listing NGR: ST7519379929


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 55, (), 170-175
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 55, (), 1176-1179
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 55, (), 1230-1233
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].