The Argent Centre (Former Argent Works)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1290277
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1982
Statutory Address:
The Argent Centre, 60, Frederick Street, Birmingham, B1 3HS

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Argent Centre (Former Argent Works)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290277.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:04:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Argent Centre, 60, Frederick Street, Birmingham, B1 3HS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 06085 87418

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/04/2018

SP 0687 SW 28/8

Hockley B1 FREDERICK STREET No 60, The Argent Centre (Former Argent Works)

(Formerly listed as Premises occupied by Gallen Kamp (Argent works))

II* Corner site with Legge Lane. The former Argent Works of 1862-63, architect J G Bland. A large three and four storey L-plan works enclosing single storey shed on two sides. Built as a pen manufacturing for Q E Wiley who also installed a Turkish Baths in the four storey block at the end of the Frederick Street range.

Red brick with stone and gault and buff brick dressings, banding and chequerwork achieving a lively polychromy. The arcaded elevations take their inspiration from Florentine-Lombard early Renaissance palazzi with corner towers to the nine bay Legge Lane front and the Hamman providing a similar emphasis to the end of the 22 bay Frederick Street range. The ground floor is slightly battered, its carcaded windows with polychrome voussoirs. A billet mould string course forms the base of the principal two storey arcade containing two light windows divided by colonettes, those on second floor with stone plate tracery in the arches. Stone machicolated main cornice with low parapet, originally pierced and later heightened in plain brick nearly to the eaves of the tower belvederes. The latter had tiled spires which have been truncated. The Hamman block has plain sash windows in the narrower bays of its arcade corresponding to those in corner towers and with the same arcaded lights to its belvedere storey. The pedimented doorway to Legge Lane is c1900 insertion. Modern waggon entrance to Frederick Street. Segmental arched doorway to former Hamman contained in right hand of three large ground floor arches. The fireproof construction is of some interest, the floors consisting of flat hollow brick arches with wrought iron tie rods linked to right L iron skewbacks, the floors are paved with brick internally and the flat roof was asphalted. The chimney stack rising to the rear of the former Hamman is square and tapered with polychrome banding to the cap. This stack served the engine of the manufactory, excess steam being used for the baths.

The Argent Works are the large in the inner jewellery quarter area and Legge Lane elevation dominates Newhall Hill.

For details of construction see "The Building News" 21 Aug 1863, p 650.

Listing NGR: SP0609387387

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
217083
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Building News' in 21 August, (1863), 650

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01020/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.R. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].