QUEEN VICTORIA MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1290440
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1970
Statutory Address:
QUEEN VICTORIA MEMORIAL, DALTON SQUARE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290440.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 00:00:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
QUEEN VICTORIA MEMORIAL, DALTON SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47867 61615

Details

LANCASTER

SD4761NE DALTON SQUARE 1685-1/7/109 Queen Victoria Memorial 18/02/70

GV II*

Monument to Queen Victoria. 1906. Executed by Herbert Hampton and presented by Lord Ashton. Portland stone ashlar with bronze reliefs and statuary. The principal elements are a large square plinth, surrounded by bas-relief panels, and a tall pedestal on which stands a statue. The plinth, approx 7m square and mounted on 2 steps, is hollow-sided with rounded corners; its base is shaped as a seat with a hollowed back-rest. Beneath a prominent cornice, its sides are filled with large bas-reliefs portraying groups of eminent Victorians, framed by bronze pilasters, and its corners are occupied by exuberantly executed high-relief representations of Wisdom, Truth, Liberty and Justice, each with a seated woman surrounded by angels and putti. On top of the plinth, seated lions at the corners guard a tall tapered pedestal, on which stands the statue of the Queen, elderly but sternly regal; she is bearing a mace and facing the Town Hall (qv) on the south side of the Square. The south side of the pedestal bears an inscription in bronze lettering - 'VICTORIA 1837-1901' - beneath a roundel carved with the Royal Arms, and the north side has an inscription in similar lettering: 'GIVEN TO HIS NATIVE TOWN BY LORD ASHTON A.D. 1906'.

Listing NGR: SD4786761615

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383140
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/02653/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].