Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of FURLONG MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291014.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 12:55:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Stoke-on-Trent (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 86448 49391


SJ 8649 SW, 613-1/11/101

STOKE ON TRENT, MIDDLEPORT, Furlong Lane (south-east side), Furlong Mill

(Formerly Listed as: FURLON LANE, Burslem Pair of bottle kilns at The Furlong Mills Co. Ltd.)



Mill for the preparation of potting materials. Originally built in 1842, enlarged 1913 and with subsequent alterations. Courtyard plan, with frontage range and kilns and other buildings in rear yard. Largely brick with plain tiled roofs. Frontage range of two storeys, built in two distinct phases: main section houses arched entrance to yard, with cast-iron lintel and relieving arch over, and an inscription stone above, flanked by two windows, reading "Furlong Mills. 1842 enlarged 1913." Six bays beyond have round-arched window with wrought-iron glazing bars. 3-bay section to the left, possibly part of the earlier works, with segmentally-arched openings to ground floor, with windows inserted into former arched entry, and sash-type windows above, with gauged brick heads. Two calcining kilns in the yard to the rear, adjoining a C20 reinforced concrete building. The kilns are circular with elongated necks with moulded cap and bands.

This mill including the two calcining kilns is the only survivor with the Etruscan Bone and Flint Mill (q.v.) of the purpose-built grinding mills producing raw materials for the potteries.

Listing NGR: SJ8644849391


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Baker, D, Potworks: The Industrial Architecture of the Staffordshire Potteries, (1991), 73-4


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03141/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Peach. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].