CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1291065
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CROSS HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291065 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:41:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CROSS HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Stoke-on-Trent (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 86939 49498

Details

SJ 8649 NE; 613-1/10/6

STOKE ON TRENT, BURSLEM, Cross Hill (south-west side)

Church of St John the Baptist

02/10/51

GV

II

Parish Church. Largely as rebuilt in 1717, but with C16 tower, and chancel added in 1788. Coursed and squared rubble to tower, the rest of brick on stone plinth, with tiled roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. West tower of two stages with very low door with chamfered jambs and flat-arched hoodmould. Three-light Perpendicular window over, and 3-light opening to bellchamber above. Angle buttresses and embattled parapet. Nave of six bays, the outer bays to east and west in south elevation with doorways with moulded architraves, and pediment to east. Eastern doorway also in north. Windows are round-arched with stone springers and keys, and have Y-tracery. Smaller windows with similar detailing over doorways. Moulded eaves band, and stone plinth which is possibly a survivor from the C16 church. Chancel projects only slightly from line of nave, and has apsidal east end containing Palladian window with moulded cornice and brackets to sill.

Listing NGR: SJ8693949498

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384384
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/01442/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Peach. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].