THE BLACKS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1291168
Date first listed:
26-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
THE BLACKS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BLACKS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 06:37:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BLACKS HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Bletchingdon
National Grid Reference:
SP 50185 17664

Details

BLETCHINGDON THE GREEN SP5017 (South side) 5/40 The Black's Head Public House

GV II Two houses, now public house. Late C16, raised mid-C17 with late-C17 building to left and mid-C18 extension to rear left, remodelled c. 1900, altered c. 1950. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roofs, part Welsh slate to rear; brick ridge and gable stacks. Brick rusticated stack to left c. 1650 has stone sundial incorporated. Late-C16 two-unit plan with late C17 addition to right. Mid-C18 wing to rear and early C19 extension to right. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. Timber lintels over late-C19 door to centre, either side two 2-light casements with glazing bars, beyond to right another similar window. Above four 2-light casements with glazing bars and a smaller 2-light casement to right. Three gabled dormer windows. To left a set-back mid-C18 wing with a single C20 door and a single glazing bar sash to each floor. Two storey former stable wing projects at an angle to the rear. Rear has mid-C18 two-storey range with C20 metal casement windows, projecting wing to right has concrete external steps up to C20 half-glazed door with two 2-light casements to right. To left a timber conservatory and beyond a gabled wing with single storey outbuilding. INTERIOR has panelled entrance lobby added c. 1900. Main bars on ground floor have been opened up into a single room in C20. Late C17 range has stop-chamfered beam and similar bressumer over open fireplace to left. Chamfered beams to left. Upper floors retain original plan and room arrangement. Two interesting C16 plank doors also survive though probably moved. Original roof structure survives with some C20 strengthening. Attics have some original broad floorboards and two C16 plank doors possibly in their original openings. Rear wing has exposed roof structure constructed from re-used earlier timber roof.

Listing NGR: SP5018517664

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393894
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06637/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Julian Tomasso. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].