CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1291232
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAEL'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291232.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2020 at 20:38:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAEL'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Begbroke
National Grid Reference:
SP 46846 13942

Details

BEGBROKE ST. MICHAEL'S LANE SP4613 (East side) 11/7 Church of St. Michael 07/12/66

GV II*

Church. Late C12; C19 restorations. Coursed limestone rubble, mostly roughcast to nave and chancel; stone-coped gabled stone slate roofs, and saddleback roof to tower. Chancel, nave and west tower. Mid C19 Norman-style east window; similar window and label mould over C15 one-light window to south side of chancel. Two-bay nave has C19 two-light Perpendicular-style windows; C17 plank door with strap hinges set in late C12 south doorway, which has zigzag-carved arch set on zigzag-and spiral-carved columns with cushion capitals; C17 sundial to south wall. 3-storey tower has Norman windows and early C14 two-light Decorated bell-openings; C14 gargoyles to corners. Interior: late C15 aumbry in north wall of chancel has fine cupboard with trailing vines carved on door and openwork grille, and C15 hinges and lock. Chancel arch, remodelled in 1845, has round arch set on late C12 lozenge and spiral jamb shafts. C15 octagonal font with sunk quatrefoils to base. Fine C17 panelled door to tower. Nave has C17 three-bay roof with arch-braced collar trusses and moulded tie beams. Monuments: chancel has C17 and C18 ledger stones; late C18 Cockin family tablet; memorial to Robert Fitzherbert, d.1636, has shield set in pediment over black-slate inscription flanked by pilasters and with carved skull to apron. Stained glass: in chancel and nave windows are fragments of C15 and C16 glass, C17 armorial glass and armorial glass by T. Willement, 1827, and C16-17 Flemish glass. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire; p449; National Monuments Record)

Listing NGR: SP4684613942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393697
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 449

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].