CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1291424
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1990
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291424.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 07:26:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)
Parish:
Silverdale
National Grid Reference:
SJ 81776 46709

Details

NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME

SJ84NW CHURCH STREET, Silverdale 644-1/3/64 (North side) 26/01/90 Church of St Luke

II

Parish Church. 1853. By R. Armstrong. Coursed and squared rubble with plain tiled roof with scalloped bands. Decorated style. SE tower and spire, nave and 2 aisles, chancel. Buttressed tower of 3 stages with paired lights in lower stage, clock above, and paired bell-chamber lights. Corbel table, octagonal brooch spire. Polygonal stair-turret in SE angle. South aisle porch, buttressed and with coped gable over simple chamfered archway. Buttresses divide aisle walls into bays, with 2-light Decorated windows. West door in ogee arch with heavy mouldings, and 3-light window over. East window to chancel of 4-lights. INTERIOR: 5-bay Early English style arcades with alternate cylindrical and octagonal shafts. Raking trusses carry collars with queen struts to wind-braced roof. Simple moulded chancel arch. Encaustic tiles, possibly by Minton to chancel, which contains Stanier memorial, a large wall tablet erected in 1856 with bust beneath wide ogee arch flanked by pinnacles, the whole enriched with niches, crockets and foliate decoration. Stained glass: badly corroded representation of Life of Christ in east window, undated. Figures of Saints in north and south aisles, 1892 and 1897. Original oak pews. Chancel screen with 3 traceried arches and cross over, erected as war memorial. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: Harmondsworth).

Listing NGR: SJ8177646709

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
385917
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/67344
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26580

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/01014/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Shenton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].