REMAINS OF WEST GATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1291737

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF WEST GATE, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF WEST GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291737 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 09:59:44.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF WEST GATE, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield (District Authority)

Parish: Lichfield

National Grid Reference: SK 11422 09691

Details

LICHFIELD

SK1109NW THE CLOSE 1094-1/4/224 (West side) 05/02/52 Remains of West Gate

GV II

Remains of the north side of the west gate of the Close fortifications, probably the south wall. c1300, completed c1322-58. For Bishop Langton. Ashlar. Wall, approx. 2 storeys in height, with short returns. Offset to top and to plinth on left return. Small segmental-headed entrance. One of the few remaining visible parts of the Close fortifications; the rest of the gate was demolished to make way for Newton's College (qv). (Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade MW: Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.60; ).

Listing NGR: SK1142309692

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 382790

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1990), 60

End of official listing