This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1291751



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Isles of Scilly

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Mary's

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 62521

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SV9010 THE GARRISON, Hugh Town 1358-0/8/82 Outer walls and gateway


Bastion walls and gateway. Wall and bastions across neck of the Hugh begun by Francis Godolphin soon after 1601; batteries and walls encircling peninsula of 1716-46 by Abraham Tovey, Master Gunner. Turf and granite coping to facing walls of dressed granite, the C18 walls being of particularly well-cut granite. Batteries are mostly angular in plan and are located in large bastions found principally at Morning Point, Woolpack Point and south of Steval Point; embrasures to tops of battery walls and gun emplacements formed by large dressed granite slabs. Stone sentry box with segmental-arched doorway and ball finial to pyramidal roof on rampart to east of gateway. Gateway has label mould over moulded arched doorway with sunk spandrels; C18 bellcote above surmounts plaque with date 1742 and GR monogram above plaque with monogram AT. The C18 batteries are mostly restorations or rebuilds of mid C17 structures, and their construction followed a report on the state of the defences by Colonel Christian Lilley in 1715. Part of an important fortification, centred on Star Castle (qv). Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (P Laws: The Buildings of Scilly: Redruth: 1980-: 6, 10; B.H. St.J.O'Neil: Isles of Scilly: London (HMSO): 1950-: 26, 31-3; Saunders A: Fortress Britain: Liphook: 1989-: 79-80).

Listing NGR: SV9007510650

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Laws, P, The Buildings of Scilly, (1980), 6 10
O'Neil, BH St J , Isles of Scilly, (1950), 26
O'Neil, BH St J , Isles of Scilly, (1950), 31-33
Saunders, A D, Fortress Britain, (1989), 79-80

National Grid Reference: SV 90075 10650


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291751 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 08:44:40.

End of official listing