BOWES MUSEUM WITH STEPS AND RAILINGS ATTACHED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1292074
Date first listed:
24-Feb-1950
Statutory Address:
BOWES MUSEUM WITH STEPS AND RAILINGS ATTACHED, NEWGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOWES MUSEUM WITH STEPS AND RAILINGS ATTACHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292074 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 16:39:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOWES MUSEUM WITH STEPS AND RAILINGS ATTACHED, NEWGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Barnard Castle
National Grid Reference:
NZ 05564 16317

Details

BARNARD CASTLE

NZ0516SE NEWGATE 770-1/7/149 (North side) 24/02/50 Bowes Museum with steps and railings attached

GV I

Private museum, publicly owned from 1952, with side and rear area railings. 1869-c.1885 (opened 1892). By J Pellechet; JE Watson of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, builder. For John Bowes, son of the 10th Earl of Strathmore. Ashlar; roof of light grey slates. Chateau style. EXTERIOR: 2:3:2 storeys with basement and attics; 3:5:4:5:3-window ranges with central and end pavilions. Entrance pavilion of 3 storeys: high plinths to paired free Corinthian columns flanking round-headed arch with cartouche key and pilasters; double painted-iron doors with studded framed panels under split semicircular overlight with fishscale fret, and leaf-carved spandrels below entablature with deep modillion brackets. Panelled plinths and entablature continue around set-back narrow side bays and returns, with 2-light windows. First floor has similar columns and entablature on smaller plinths, and windows from floor level; smaller top-floor windows with panelled pilasters and pedimented entablature. To end pavilions: paired windows and wide panels on ground floor, high round-headed window on first floor between paired columns, and narrower pedimented attic window. Links between pavilions have similar ground floor windows in corniced panels under continuous cornice, the first floor pedimented under bracketed cornice which continues across entire facade. Rusticated basement has plain 2-light stone mullioned windows. Steeply pitched pseudo-Mansard roof, hipped over pavilions and convex-hipped over centre, has 2 levels of lights, the lower pedimented dormers at eaves level, the upper round-headed in archivolts, except in pavilions where they are oeils-de-boeuf. Tall corniced chimneys at sides and behind front slope. Pavilions have raised low pyramidal tops. INTERIOR: lavish decoration with much marble cladding and notable marble staircases with wide grip handrails on turned balustrades. Contents include architectural fragments, some local, including panelled room from West Auckland Manor House. Spear-headed railings enclose areas at rear and sides. (Buildings of England: Pevsner: County Durham: Harmondsworth: 1983-: 88).

Listing NGR: NZ0556416317

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388779
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: County Durham, (1983), 88

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04821/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Le Mare. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].