THE CLIFTON CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1292433

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Statutory Address: THE CLIFTON CLUB, 22, THE MALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CLIFTON CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292433 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 11:45:20.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CLIFTON CLUB, 22, THE MALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 56974 73110

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5673SE THE MALL, Clifton 901-1/7/1062 (North East side) 08/01/59 No.22 The Clifton Club

GV II*

Formerly known as: No.22 The Assembly Rooms and Clifton Hotel THE MALL. Formerly assembly rooms and hotel, now club. 1806-9. By Francis Greenway. Interior by Joseph Kay. Altered 1894 by EH Edwards. Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. Double-depth plan. Classical style. 2 storeys and basement; 5-window range. A fine symmetrical composition returns at each end, with a raised, rusticated basement to a band, engaged colonnade of 6 giant Ionic columns to an architrave, attic storey and large pediment containing a shield. Semicircular-arched basement windows and central doorway have coved reveals and wrought-iron grilles. Upper windows between the columns, with late C19 ornament to first floor, pediments with foliate consoles to outer and central ones, and canted bays with Ionic pilaster jambs and entablature to the second and fourth windows, all with horned plate-glass sashes, 6/6-pane above and 3/6 panes to the attic. 1 window in the returns. INTERIOR: entrance hall with flanking arcades of semicircular arches on thin columns with foliate capitals and moulded keys; principal first-floor rooms include the dining room to the front with marble fire surrounds to each end, reading room with attached columns, with Temple of the Winds capitals, painted with pink marble, with late C19 fire surrounds to each end; rear card and billiard rooms with 1889 fire surrounds. Rear rooms extend into Nos 18-28 (qv) on either side. Originally a 17-window terrace including Nos 18, 20 & 24-28, forming symmetrical wings, and creating a fine culmination to the terraces below The Mall. The hotel was closed in 1855 and converted into a club, and the flanking buildings into shops. A good facade forming an important termination to Clifton's only formal square. (Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 130; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 218).

Listing NGR: ST5697473110

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380685

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 218
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 1308

End of official listing