Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292912.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2021 at 03:36:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ 21795 31372



NZ23SW A 688 634-1/2/3 (West side (off)) 06/05/86 Lodge Farmhouse (Formerly Listed as: AUCKLAND CASTLE PARK Lodge Farm)


Farmhouse. Dated 1779. For John, Bishop of Durham. Incorporates earlier fabric. Extensive alteration in 1779 enveloped first build and extended to right, leaving earlier quoins visible only in rear wall. Later small left rear pent outshut. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, the quoins with herringbone tooling; roof of concrete tiles with rendered chimneys. Symmetrical front elevation, T plan. 2 storeys, 5 windows. Central 3 bays break forward under pediment which contains inscription in well-cut Roman capitals: JOHNDUNELM/ANNODOM/MDCCLXXIX. Apron to inscription panel. First-floor band interrupted by high central round-headed arch, with stepped voussoirs, filled with coarser darker stone and containing renewed door under flat stone lintel; oculus above with radiating glazing bars and painted ashlar surround. Sashes with C19 glazing bars, most with flat stone lintels. Tall, round-headed windows with springing and top keystones flank keyed arch with voussoirs, which rises through 2 storeys in central projection. Steeply-pitched hipped roof. INTERIOR has stick balusters to dogleg stair in central bay; some window shutters; C19 chimney pieces; transverse rear passage. The inscription refers to John Egerton, Bishop of Durham 1771-87. (Fair P: A Description of Bishop Auckland: Bishop Auckland: 1820-: 38-43).

Listing NGR: NZ2179531372


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Fair, P , A Description of Bishop Auckland, (1820), 38-43


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05043/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].