CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1293011
Date first listed:
08-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293011 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 03:23:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Madeley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 69625 04091

Details

SJ 6904SE; 12/476

MADELEY, CHURCH STREET

Church of St Michael

GV

II*

1796 by Thomas Telford. Ashlar with hipped slate roof. Octagonal on plan. Entablature with finials over the corners. Two tiers of windows with string course between, round-arched windows above square windows. Tower projects at ritual west end (north side), in four stages, rusticated bottom stage, pedimented first stage with round arch window, clock face in third stage and round arched bell opening in recess in top stage with ball finials over the corners of the parapet. Square chancel added in 1910 at ritual east end (south) with large venetian window. Either side of this chancel the two upper windows are niches with responds and containing kneeling figures with inscription below:- remains of monument to the Brooke family of Madeley Hall. INTERIOR: galleries on three sides with two tiers of columns. In the churchyard several early C19 tombs of cast iron, including those of two iron- plasters: William Balwin 1822; a large pedestal with columns at the corners surmounted by sarcophagus. And R R Anstice 1853; arched inscription panels flanked by attached columns with pediment over. Also a cast-iron tomb chest John Fletcher 1785 immediately east of church.

Listing NGR: SJ6962504091

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362329
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15596/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cousens. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].