Grosvenor Building, Manchester Metropolitan University Faculty of Art and Design

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1293192
Date first listed:
03-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
Grosvenor Building, Manchester Metropolitan University Faculty of Art and Design, Cavendish Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Grosvenor Building, Manchester Metropolitan University Faculty of Art and Design
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293192 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 12:52:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
Grosvenor Building, Manchester Metropolitan University Faculty of Art and Design, Cavendish Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 84280 97017

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8497 CAVENDISH STREET 698-1/20/590 (South side) 03/10/74 Chorlton-On-Medlock Grosvenor Building, Manchester Metropolitan University Faculty of Art and Design

GV II

(Formerly Listed as Manchester Polytechnic School of Art)

Manchester Municipal School of Art. 1880-1, by G.T.Redmayne, with 1898 addition to rear by J.G.Sankey. Sandstone ashlar, and red brick with buff terracotta dressings (respectively), slate roofs with glass skylights. The original building is a rectangular block, parallel to the street, 2 storeys over a basement, 1:3:1:3:1 bays, in Gothic style, with large gabled and pinnacled wings flanking a buttressed and arcaded main range. The centre has a chamfered doorway with moulded arched head and carved spandrels, and over this a small canted oriel with 4 small arched lights and steep weathered roof against a crocketed gable with corner pinnacles and apex finial; the flanking arcaded bays have rectangular windows set under 2-centred blank arches and corbel tables; a parapet runs across the whole range, as does a continuous skylight to the lower half of the roof. The gabled wings have giant depressed arches containing tripartite windows to both floors, the upper composed of tall 2-centred arched lights. Behind the ridge of the main ridge rises an octagonal chimney with machicolated and embattled top. The right-hand return wall has 5 bays of giant arches with windows to both floors. The addition to the rear has 3 gabled bays with broad pilasters to almost full height with a dentilled band over, a string-course stepped over a terracotta panel in the centre of each bay, and at ground floor of each bay an arcade of 3 round-headed 2-light windows with raked sills, moulded surrounds and 2-centred arched lights with central shafts and carved spandrels, those of the 2nd and 3rd bays with much higher sills, and beneath the centre of the 2nd bay a terracotta tablet with Art Nouveau enrichment and raised lettering commemorating the gift by the Council and Guarantors of the Manchester Royal Jubilee Exhibition 1887 of the sum of »10,000 towards the erection of the Royal Jubilee Exhibition Wing of the Manchester Municipal School of Art. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ8428097017

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387973
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01613/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Malies. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].