This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1293216



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Telford and Wrekin

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lilleshall and Donnington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jun-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 362273

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LILLESHALL LILYHURST ROAD 1. 5362 Remains of Lilleshall Abbey

SJ 71SW 29/420 18.6.59


2. Scheduled Ancient Monument. Founded circa 1148 by Richard de Belmeis for Canons of the Augustinian Order of Aras. The building is late Norman to Early English. The extant ruins comprise:- nearly the whole of the church about 228 ft long with a very fine west doorway of Transitional Norman of the C12 and a fragment of a lofty wall adjoining to the north with trefoiled blank arcading; chapels on each side of the chancel and the north and south transept; the vesty; the cloisters; the chapter house (except the east wall) and the frater (on the south side of the courtyard). The site was carefully explored in 1891. During the Civil War, the Abbey then the house of Sir Richard Leveson was fortified for the King and practically destroyed in a seige by the Parliamentary forces.

Listing NGR: SJ7374814220

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 73765 14208


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293216 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 02:53:12.

End of official listing