Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1293237

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994



Ordnance survey map of FOSTERS CHAMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293237 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:10:16.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58766 73089


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST5873SE SMALL STREET, Centre 901-1/11/629 (North East side) 08/01/59 Nos.16 AND 17 Fosters Chambers (Formerly Listed as: SMALL STREET (North East side) Nos.16 AND 17)


Pair of attached houses, now offices and restaurant. Formerly a C15 banqueting hall, possibly late C17 front with C18 fenestration, c1846 right-hand elevation by RS Pope and mid C20 ground-floor front. Limestone ashlar ground floor, render above, random limestone ashlar right-hand return, ashlar right-hand exterior stack and double Roman cross gabled and mansard roof. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys, attic and double basement; 4-window range. A symmetrical front has 2 gables, with paired semicircular-arched dorways to the middle and C18-style shop fronts each side with shallow bowed windows set flush with glazing bars, and basement doors below the left-hand one. Horned 6/6-pane sashes in flush frames, set in pairs to each gable, in a panel of raised roughcast with quoin-effect edges; small 2/2-pane attic sashes. The C19 right-hand return has an exterior stack with 3 octagonal moulded stacks to the left of a 4-centre arched doorway with a heavy plank door with moulded rails and strap hinges, a label mould to head stops and foliate spandrels, and FOSTERS CHAMBERS over the doorway. A first-floor arcade of small 4-centre arched windows, and third-floor 5-light mullion window with C20 casements. In the left return is a ground floor C17 two-light mullion window with splayed surround. INTERIOR: formerly a C15 banqueting hall with hammer-beam roof, now gone: some timbers survive with ovolo-moulded possible door frame set in the arched vaults to the rear on the ground floor. Below are three C15 segmental-arched vaults running back from the pavement, with a small lower vault toward the rear. The C19 Chambers has an entrance to a C18-style dogleg stair with stick balusters, column newels and ramped moulded rail. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house of John Foster, Mayor of Bristol 1481, founder of Foster's Almshouses and Chapel of the Three Kings of Cologne. The right-hand return in the manner of the neighbouring Guildhall rebuilt to form an enclosed space in front of it. Much restored externally and altered internally. (Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest: 62).

Listing NGR: ST5876673089


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380558

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Gomme, A, Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest62

End of official listing