CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1293444
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293444.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 23:45:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Weston and Weedon
National Grid Reference:
SP 59764 48313

Details

WESTON AND WEEDON PLUMPTON SP54NE 4/234 Church of St. John the Baptist

GV II

Church. Rebuilt 1822 reusing some medieval work. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone, old tile roof to chancel, slate roof to nave. Chancel, nave, west tower and south porch. 3-light east window to chancel, C14 has tracery with trefoils and mouchettes. Priests door to south, C14, with continuous chamfered arch. Nave windows C19 with Y-tracery. South porch has entrance with continuous chamfered arch. Stone plaque in gable with shield inscribed, 'This church rebuilt A.D. 1822'. Ball finial and sundial at apex. Inner doorway has arch with continuous hollow chamfer, probably C14. Large medieval carved stone head re-set as keystone. C19 tower with castellated parapet-and single-light bell openings, the hoods surmounted by carved heads. Interior: Tower arch and chancel arch C14. Octagonal font on baluster pedestal. Probably late C17. Original box pews and commandment boards of 1822. Marble wall monument to Ann Moore, died 1683, has finely carved frame with drapery swags, cartouche, and cherub's head.

Listing NGR: SP5976448313

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234263
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04376/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Jim Adams. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].