Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293847.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-May-2021 at 02:35:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Harrogate (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30618 54467


TEWIT WELL ROAD 5338 Tewit Well SE 3054 27/35 18.7.49. II*

2. The Tewit Well was the earliest of the Harrogate chalybeate springs: discovered by Mr William Slingsby in 1571, it was described by Edmund Deane in "Spadacrene Anglica" in 1626. The original well-cover was replaced by the present pavilion (circa 1807-8) which was transferred from the site of the Old Sulphur Well in circa 1842 when the Royal Pump Room was erected. Circular pavilion with modern fibreglass dome resting on a stone colonnade. Tuscan Order of 12 columns, the bases of 6 columns stand on the plinth, the other 6 are shortened to rest on a pedestal. The former wall infill with doors and windows of circa 1842 has recently been removed. A modern concrete cover seals the top of the old well.

Listing NGR: SE3061854468


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/02972/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Prof. W J Hume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].