CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1293981
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293981.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:23:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Kettering (District Authority)
Parish:
Wilbarston
National Grid Reference:
SP 81199 88364

Details

WILBARSTON CHURCH STREET SP8188 (West side) 8/82 Church of All Saints 25/02/57 GV II*

Church. C12, C13 and C14, restored C19. Regular coursed, squared coursed and ashlar limestone and ironstone with stone slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of C14 two- and 3-light windows. C12 south door opening, now blocked, has single chamfered semi-circular arch. Central, 3-stage, ashlar buttress. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. 3-light east window has reticulated tracery, renewed C19. North elevation of chancel is blank with north chapel projecting over one bay. South aisle of 3-window range; from left to right: 3-light Decorated window with intersecting tracery, C19 two-light window and 3-light Decorated window with roundel now filled with C19 trefoils. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. 2-light square-head west window. C19 limestone ashlar south porch with moulded outer arch, gabled buttresses, gable parapets, niche and finial. Decorated inner door opening has cusped arch with one order of shafts. North aisle of 3-window range of 3-light square-head windows with renewed tracery. C19 north door to left with C19 gabled buttress to right.Shallow central C14 buttress. Lean-to roof with moulded cornice and ashlar gable parapets. C19 three-light east window and 2-light west window. Nave clerestory of 4-window range to south and 2-window range to north with 2-light square-head windows with renewed tracery. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and bellcote at apex. West tower of 3 stages with sub-division to lower stage. Limestone and ironstone ashlar buttresses to corners and centre of west face of first stage. Single lancets to north and south faces. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of third stage have central columns and C12 semi-circular arches with nailhead decoration to south and east faces. Corbel table with C14 broach spire having 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade with one C12 round-head arch to south east which may have given access to a transept in the C12 church. Remainder of south arcade is C13 pointed arches with one chamfer and one hollow, supported on circular piers. The pier to the east has been modified with 2 additional renewed shafts to carry the C12 arch. North arcade has 2 C12 responds to east and west, probably reset, remainder is early C14 pointed arches with sunk quadrant mouldings and circular piers. Double chamfered and bracketed chancel arch and triple chamfered tower arch. 2 bay arcade of double chamfered arches to north chapel, now vestry, have octagonal pier and responds. C19 painted roof structures, throughout, probably date from restoration of 1884. Trefoil head piscina and double sedilia to south wall of chancel. C14 ogee-head reredos with cusping to east wall of south aisle has piscina to right and Decorated window alongside with ribbed shafts. Ogee-head niches flanking north chapel window. Shallow font on short column. Monuments: north aisle, marble plaque to William Munton died 1832 has cherubs head and draped urn. C19 stained glass east windows and aid C20 stained glass south aisle window. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire p.462).

Listing NGR: SP8119988364

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
230940
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 462

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/08724/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Rockett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].