CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294024.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:50:13.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Staffordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 04416 23991
SK 02 SW; 13/78
BLITHFIELD C.P., Church of St. Leonard
Parish Church. c1300; vestry added 1829-30; porch added 1860 by Street, chancel restored 1851 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Ashlar; slate roof to chancel with crested ridge tiles and coped verges. West tower with diagonal buttresses, four-bay nave with aisles and south porch, three-bay chancel with angle buttresses and octagonal north vestry with buttress to each angle.
West tower: two stages with crenellated parapet; buttresses die away below belfry stage which is later probably mid C19 addition; 2-light West window (restored) with hood mould terminating in heads, small square-headed window above containing two trefoil-arched lights with super mullions over, pointed 2-light belfry openings with hood moulds terminating in heads. Nave: Late C15/16 clerestory windows of three trefoil-headed lights under a 4-centred arch. Aisles have square-headed windows of two ogee-trefoil arch lights, and moulded parapet. Gabled south porch with pointed arch to pointed south door, and arch-braced roof. Chancel: pointed windows with Y-tracery, bay divisions marked by buttresses, pointed east window of five lights with intersecting tracery; recess on South side containing recumbent effigy of a priest, early C13. Vestry: Tudor arch door to west; 3-light window to north and 2-light window to east, both consisting of trefoil arched lights under a square head.
INTERIOR: Nave arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches on cylindrical columns with moulded capitals, hoodmoulds terminating in heads; wide pointed chancel arch with continuous roll moulding and broad fillet; pointed tower arch with similar moulding, restored; nave roof of c.1853 a copy of the original of c1500, nearly flat with moulded tie beams, principal rafters and ridge piece, and chamfered common rafters; C19 scissor braced chancel roof; sedilia with trefoil headed niches and continuous hood mould; double piscina with trefoil ogee arch and quatrefoil tracery over, and two scalloped basins. FITTINGS: C12 pillar piscina with scalloped bowl; C14 font, octagonal with roll moulded bands; C15 bench ends with carved tracery and poppyheads; C15 rood screen restored by Bodley in 1881, four lights each side of a central opening, frieze and cresting; C19 pulpit attributed to Pugin, octagonal with panelled sides; altar rail, mid-C19, brass. MONUMENTS: Chancel: Chest tomb, Sir Lewis Bagot died 1534, effigies of Sir Lewis and his 2 wives incised on top; Chest tomb, Thomas Bagot d. 1541, and wife, 2 figures incised on top; chest tomb, Sir Richard Bagot d. 1596 and wife, 2 recumbent effigies, Sir Richard in plate armour, a helmet with goats head crest is hung above the tomb; incised slab on floor to Francis Aston d. 1593 and wife; cartouche to Hervey Bagot d. 1755; three late C17/early C18 aedilular wall plaques, one with Ionic columns surmounted by urn spouting flame, looped up curtains to sides, the others have Corinthian columns, foliated brackets and open top pediments containing coats of arms. Vestry: two wall plaques, Sir Edward Bagot d. 1673, semi-circular head surmounted by coat of arms and flanking cherubs, the other double, Sir Walter Bagot and Dame Jane Bagot, d. 1695, two semicircular headed panels, outer foliated pilasters, gadrooned cornice.
Listing NGR: SK0441323990
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 72
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing