CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1294053
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER, TITSEY HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294053.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 00:49:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER, TITSEY HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Tandridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Titsey
National Grid Reference:
TQ 40913 54975

Details

TQ 45SW TITSEY C.P. TITSEY HILL TITSEY 7/287 Church of St. James 11.6.58 the Greater II*

Church. 1861 by J.L. Pearson. Dressed stone, wood gutters to plain tiled roof with ridge cresting, shingled spire. Nave with gabled south porch, chancel with north chapel and vestry; tower to the south east with stair turret on north east angle. Two-light windows linked by cill bands throughout. Planked and studded doors, vestry door to the north set diagonally behind freestanding column with foliage capital.

Interior: four bay nave with tiled centre aisle. Pointed chancel arch on marble columns with leaf capitals, smaller, thinner shafts of marble support hood moulding. Chancel steps formed of old tiles from previous Church; walls inlaid with decorative coloured stone. Northern memorial chapel with quadripartite stone rib vaulting, tiled floors and heraldic window to east. East end windows by Clayton and Bell.

Fittings: Stone arcaded reredos to chancel at east end, triple arched sedelia on south chancel wall. Round wood pulpit with rich foliage carving, lattice patterning and arcading. Square stone font on four squat piers.

Monuments: North chancel chapel north wall: To Emily Elizabeth Gomer, died 1872. Recumbant female stone effigy by M. Noble under arched,cusped, niche and multi- coloured base.

Centre of Chapel: Chest tomb to William Gomer died 1860. Marbled,hipped top with carved crucifix, arcaded sides bearing heraldic shields on moulded plinth. South Wall: Tomb to William Gomer 1895. Recumbant male figure by Thomas Brock, elaborate cusped canopy on marble shafts by Pearson.

East Wall: Brasses to William Gresham. Died 1579. Monument to Marmaduke Gresham. Died 1741. Stone cartouche with cherubs head below and shield above.

Tomb to Anne Wright. Died 1713. White stone draperied cartouche.

North Nave Wall: Aedicular monument to Sir John Gresham. Memorial dated 1660. Lugged central inscription panel, original, flanking draped scrolls, broken pediment and shield on scroll brackets, C19 copy of an original.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p. 489.

Listing NGR: TQ4091354975

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
287943
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 489

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02372/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Desmond Pye. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].