This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1294098



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wotton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290077

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/114 Church of St. John 11/11/66 The Evangelist


Church. Probably of Saxon origin, nave wall and tower mid-C11 - Norman, chancel, north chapel, north transept and nave C13, Evelyn Mortuary Chapel late C17, South porch and vestry C19 added in restoration. Bargate rubble with firestone dressings, newer Bath stone and sandstone dressings in parts. North Chancel. Chapel rendered on east end, Evelyn chapel to north of thin brick. Horsham slab roofs, plain tiled roofs over south vestry and porch and wood shingles on bell- cote. Tower to west with nave and chancel to east. Porch and vestry on south of nave and chancel respectively, north transept to nave, chapel and Evelyn Mausoleum to north of chancel. Tower:- north and west walls of tower thicker, blocked horse- shoe shaped arch to west face on simple imposts with offset flanking buttresses small rectangular under eaves opening above. Blocked window on south side, smaller open window under eaves above. Two stage pyramidal roof above with one louvred opening in each face of bellcote and wooden lead covered spike finial above. Two, 2-light and trefoil roundel windows on south side with hood moulds over, plain two-light lancet to left buttress at junction with Chancel. Gabled C19 vestry to south of chancel with gable trefoil and two-light window below. Three gables to east end, triple lancets under hood moulds and in chamfered surrounds, three lancets in east end of north chancel chapel circa 1210 (V.C.H) rebated externally for wood frame and with obtusely pointed heads. Leaded round window on east end of Evelyn Mausoleum. Gabled and bargeboarded south porch with paired outer doors, half-open with iron grilles above, c.1858. Inner south door with C13 arch mouldings on older jamb shafts with shaft ring around middle. Double order of chamfers to arch, the hood mould of pear-shaped section with flanking hollows. Chamfered edge to inner order with series of minutely carved busts, 4 to each side of arch. Lowest head to each side modern, remainder original - Pope, King, Priest Nobleman, Queen and Pilgrim. Alternate voussoirs of green firestone and chalk above and impost moulding carried round chamfer to form abacus of shaft capital. Interior:- Tower arch of similar form to blocked western arch, chancel arch to north chapel blocked in C17 and used as screen. Two orders with narrow chamfers to arch and piers and impost moulding carried round chamfers. Tracery of 1858 put on blank walls within arch. East end C19 with fake marble columns and shafts. Fittings:- C19 stone font in C13 style, old font now in north chapel. C17, stone with ogee cover. Screen between north aisle and chapel:- 1632, one of few of this period to survive in Surrey. Monuments:- North Chapel - small mural tablets including those to George Evelyn and his wives, 1603. Tripartite with three kneelers and children below. Tablet next to it dedicated to Richard Evelyn, 1634. Facing kneeling figures under heavy pediment, figures at sides holding back drapes. Monument to Elizabeth Darcy. 1634. Bust portrait with head leaning on a hand in architectural frame, a baby in swaddling clothes below. Rich swags and pediments above. John Evelyn, 1706, and his wife 1709. Two coffin shaped unornamented slabs. Monument to Sir John Evelyn, erected by his son in 1778. Tablet by Robert Chambers. Monument to George Evelyn. 1829 by Westmacott, with inscription by Dr. Arnold. Some trees in the churchyard reputedly planted by John Evelyn.

V.C.H. SURREY (1967 Edn) Vol. III pp.158-162. BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY: NAIRN & PEVSNER pp.541-2. SURREY ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY BULLETIN NO. 127. May/June 1976. Article by D. Fowler on Excavations around the Church and Probable Structural Sequence of Building.

Listing NGR: TQ1256847977

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 158-162
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 541-2
'Surrey Archaeological Society Bulletins' in Bulletin Number 127, (1976)

National Grid Reference: TQ 12568 47977


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294098 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 09:19:34.

End of official listing