CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1294257
Date first listed:
03-May-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294257.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:36:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Roade
National Grid Reference:
SP 75739 51867

Details

SP 7550 ROADE CHURCH END (East side) 11/124 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 03/05/68 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary)

GV II*

Church. C12 and C13. North aisle of 1850 by E.F. Law who restored church in 1857 (chancel) and 1864 (nave), vestry/organ chamber added 1879, further C20 restoration and church hall built with link to church 1972. Chancel, vestry/organ chamber, central tower, nave, north aisle and south porch. Coursed limestone rubble, and slate roofs. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window with C19 Decorated-style tracery, 3-light Perpendicular window to north-east with 4-centred head, both with hood moulds. 1-light low-side window to north-west with rectangular chamfered stone surround and pair of round-headed 1-light Norman windows to south. C19 vestry to south with 1-light windows. 3-stage central tower has single lancet windows to north and south, and similar windows to east and west of bell-chamber stage, all with hood moulds. Middle stage has lancet to middle bay of 3-bay blind arcades north and south with circular shafts and carved capitals. 2-light bell-chamber openings to north and south with trefoil-headed lights, transoms and hood moulds, plain stone-coped parapet and recessed pyramidal lead roof with gilded ball finial and weathercock. North aisle has lancet windows, paired to north. Nave has 2-light windows to south with Y tracery and hood moulds and 3-light west window with stepped pointed-arched lights and hood mould. South door has 2 orders of shafts, with scalloped capitals, inner arch moulding with beakhead, outer arch moulding stylized leaves or horns alternating with fruit, and hood mould. C19 gabled south porch has double-chamfered doorway and small lancets either side, all with hood moulds. C20 church hall extension is not of special architectural interest. Interior: chancel has piscina with pointed trefoiled head. Tower arches, much renewed, have 4 chamfers, the outer 2 dying into wall the inner on polygonal responds with dog-toothed capitals. C19 roofs throughout. Plain tub font. Perspective by E.F. Law, watercolour over pencil in ormolu shield-shaped frame for restoration, hangs in chancel. Slate wall monuments to Susanna Henshaw d.1706, Stephen Hoe Senior d.1713, John Henshaw d.1762, with scull and cross bones, and Reverend Stephen Hoe Henshaw, d.1772. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p386; The History of St. Mary the Virgin, Roade, (guide book) 1982)

Listing NGR: SP7573951867

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234941
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The History of St Mary the Virgin Roade, (1982)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 386

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06535/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].