CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1294444
Date first listed:
21-May-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294444 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 22:04:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Guildford (District Authority)
Parish:
Shalford
National Grid Reference:
SU 99916 47814

Details

SU 94 NE SHALFORD CP THE STREET

3/157 Church of St. Mary the Virgin

GV II

Church. 1846 rebuild of 1790 church. By Benjamin Ferrey Rough coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs. Cruciform plan with lower chancel to east, porch to south, and tower to north west with vestry attached to north. Very tall proportions. Three stage tower with copper broach spire on corbelled eaves. Offset quoined buttress to lower stages, blind lancet arcade to first stage above with round moulded capitals to jamb shafts. Two bays of the arcade are open with louvred coverings. Three bay arcade below on tower with central 2-light lancet window. Stair turret to south east corner in angle with main church, vestry to north side. Lancet clerestorey windows over pentice roofed aisles. Remaining fenestration, lancet and roundels in early English style. Buttressed aisles with corbelled eaves and buttressed east end with hood mouldings to windows. Gabled porch to south with trefoil opening in gable apex. Moulded and chamfered entrance arch with one order of jamb shafts. Panelled outer doors, C20 inner doors. Further doors to west end in moulded two-order surround under hood moulding with human head stops and strapwork hinges to doors.

Interior: braced, hammer beam type nave roof with four bay round pier nave arcades below. Octagonal piers to east of entrance to aisle chapels. Chamfered arches and hood mouldings over. Wooden gallery to west end on thin, painted iron columns. King-post chancel roof, panelled chancel under billeted band.

Fittings: ogee arch piscina on south wall of chancel. Panelled pulpit on centre stem, ribbed with linenfold pattern to panels. Octagonal stone font on panelled stem with deep carving in panels of bowl.

Monument: tablet recording donations to church construction and detailing architects and patrons dated 1847 (on west wall of north aisle).

North aisle wall: monument to George Duncombe 1694/5. Marble cartouche with crowning coat of arms and winged cherubs with draperies.

Memorial to George Sturt. Died 1769. Rectangular, white stone apron with bead and paterae decoration. Grey stone obelisk above with urn and coat of arms.

North Wall of chancel: to Robert Austen. Died 1798. Neo-classical style by Bacon. White stone with fluted pilaster strips flanking guttae below. Grey stone obelisk with shallow relief garlanded urn and winged cherub heads.

South chancel wall. Monument to Robert Austen. 1759 by James Moorhouse of Greenwich. Grey veined marble obelisk with broken pediment over and rectangular inscribed panel on volute srolls. Apron below with winged cherub heads.

Chancel stained glass windows by Newton Butler Brown. East window by W.R. Eginton and Samuel Brown. West window of south aisle by Ward and Hughes 1883.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1981) page 452.

Listing NGR: SU9991647814

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288420
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 452

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06975/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Don Morley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].