CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1294513
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, THE VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294513 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 00:00:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, THE VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Carlton
National Park:
NORTH YORK MOORS
National Grid Reference:
NZ 50674 04537

Details

CARLTON THE VILLAGE NZ 5004 West side 19/36 Church of 23/6/66 St. Botolph II Church, 1886 dated on stone in porch (but dated 1896-7 by Pevsner); by Temple Moore. Tooled sandstone ashlar. Clay tiled main roof, stone-flagged aisles and porch. Art-and-Craft Decorated style. Aisled nave clasping the west tower, south porch, short chancel. Plain tower of 2 stages, the lower very tall, with north-east staircase in buttress-like projection, square-headed windows and clock above. Bell stage has 2 pairs of cusped, ogee-headed openings, top cornice and battlements. Gabled porch has oak-framed entrance. Paired, cusped aisle and clerestory windows, the former with ogee heads. Chancel North and South windows very small; big, traceried East window.

Listing NGR: NZ5067404537

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333094
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12584/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Garbutt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].