CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1294595

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, SALTBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294595 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 05:04:47.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, SALTBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton (District Authority)

Parish: Sproxton

National Grid Reference: SK 85663 24918

Details

SK 8524 SPROXTON SALTBY ROAD (East side)

28/72 Church of St 1.1.68 Bartholomew

II*

Parish church. C13 west tower, the rest mostly late C14. The following of 1882-83 by H. Woodyer: belfry, south porch, south aisle, south chancel including transept and chapel and the chancel arch. Ironstone with limestone dressings. Unbuttressed 3-stage tower. Lancet west window and a lancet to south. South lancet to ringing chamber. Limestone belfry stage with 2-light windows, crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. 3-light south aisle Perpendicular windows under 4-centered arches. Gabled south porch. North nave wall with a blocked doorway, just pointed, and a 2-light cusped window under a swore head. 3 2-light cusped clerestory windows each side. No openings to north chancel wall. Plain triple lancet east window. Gabled south transept with one high south window. East of this a sloping chapel with doorway and a 2-light window to south; also an east window. 2- light chancel window east of this. Interior. 3-bay south arcade of octagonal piers with moulded polygonal bases and capitals. Double chamfered arches. Wide tower arch on circular responds with polygonal capitals below double chamfered arch. 7-bay nave roof of crenellated moulded tie beams on arched braces dropping on wall posts to corbels. Corbels are stone grotesques and animals. On ties are King post spurs to moulded ridge piece and struts to moulded purlins. Only corbels, King spurs and struts are pre-1882. Late C14 font with shafts to stem and encircled quatrefoils to bowl panels. Chancel arch re-uses a pair of crocket capitals. C19 chancel roof as nave but with traceried spandrels to the arched braces. Head corbels are C19.

Listing NGR: SK8566324918

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 190300

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing