Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294655.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Aug-2020 at 20:42:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Hounslow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 20753 78440


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/10/2012

TQ 2078 10/251 21.05.73

BARLEY MOW PASSAGE, W4 Voysey House (Formerly listed as Warehouse)


Sanderson's wallpaper factory, building now offices. 1902, by C F A Voysey for Messrs Sanderson; alterations 1968 and 1987. Glazed white brick in English bond with Staffordshire blue brick now painted black to plinth, bands and opening surrounds; Portland stone dressings; late C20 felted roof. 4-storeys with 1987 roof-top flat; 4½ x 2 bays, the eastern bay containing stairs, lift and toilets. Original small-pane steel-framed windows to east side, otherwise replacement early-mid C20 metal casement windows; windows segmental-arched with dripmoulds and on all but east side occupying full width of bay; circular windows to 3rd floor. Bays defined by giant butresses, within which are air vents, smaller on 3rd floor and rising above parapet. Stone cornice to 2nd floor and to shaped parapet. South, entrance, elevation has round-arched entrance to bay 4 with recessed replacement doors; left-hand ground-floor window now entrance; metal quadrant caps in buttress angles; east bay blind apart from 3rd-floor window which replaces entrance to former bridge, spanning road, across to Sanderson's main factory building. North elevation: east bay has narrower round-arched windows, the 3rd floor blind; ground floor windows of 2 right bays blocked, with one inserted door. West end: ground floor windows altered, that on right blocked and with 1987 round-arched fire-escape door; that on left now entrance. East end: left bay has round-arched doorway and various windows, some flat. Arched; 1968 windows to 3rd floor. Interior: cast-iron columns, reducing in diameter on successive floors, support steel joists and corrugated-iron-shuttered arched concrete floors. Stair rises around lift shaft. Roof originally was double pitched with glazed north sides; north parapet lined with glazed white brick to reflect light down through roof. An important Arts and Crafts factory building and the only industrial building which Voysey designed. The Buildings of England, Middlesex, N Persner (1951) p37; Edwardian Architecture, A Service (1977) pp128, 131; Charles F A Voysey, Architect, D Gebhard (1979), p 27; The Great Perspectivists, G Stamp (1982) p148.

Listing NGR: TQ2075378440


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Gebhard, D, Charles FA Voysey Architect, (1979)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Middlesex, (1951), 37
Service, A, Edwardian Architecture a Handbook to Building Design in Britain 1890-1914, (1977), 128
Stamp, G, The Great Perspectivists, (1982), 148


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06448/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].