PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1294750
Date first listed:
01-Oct-1953
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MANOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294750 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:28:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MANOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Bexley (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 49785 73444

Details

MANOR ROAD 1. 5005 Bexley Parish Church of TQ 4973 13/20 1.10.53 St Mary the Virgin II* 2. Nave with north aisle and chapel, chancel, west tower and south porch. Largely C13 but incorporating some older work; restored 1882-3 by Basil Champneys, architect. Of flint with Portland stone dressings. Lancets and intersecting tracery, much restored, Unusual shingled spire of 2 storeys; the lower square with bell openings in form of dormers, the upper octagonal and overhanging. The interior contains sedilia, probably C15; font dated 1684 on medieval stem; chancel screen with loft including stalls and pulpit by Champneys; many fine monuments of C16 to C18. In churchyard a fine collection of tomb chests and stones dating from C17 onwards.

Listing NGR: TQ4978573444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
198685
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00577/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mary Winch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].