CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1294793
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 00:56:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Guildford (District Authority)
Parish:
Effingham
National Grid Reference:
TQ 11829 53664

Details

TQ 15SW EFFINGHAM C.P. CHURCH STREET

6/76 Church of St. 14/6/67 Lawrence

GV II*

Church. C12 origin with south transept of c1250, chancel C14, nave, aisle and western tower 1888 by W. J. Shearburn. Random flint rubble, cut and knapped in tower and nave, with ashlar dressings and quoins. Plain tiled roofs. Short tower to west, nave with south aisle and added porch, transept to south and chancel to east. Tower: offset buttresses to west end, 2 storeys under battle- mented parapet. 3 lancets, linked under continuous hood mould, with louvered openings in 3 stages of top stage. C19 Perpendicular style window to west end; over C19 double doors in stone surround. 3 bay,buttressed,nave with ogee-arch, 2-light tracery windows under stone voussoir heads to north side. 2 bay chancel with Y tracery single light windows and 2-light window to north under segmental label moulding. (C14). C14 window to east vestry to south flanking chancel. Gabled C19 porch with simple arched surround to double doors. Interior: 4 bay south arcade on round piers with moulded capitals. Chancel arch with 3 orders of jamb shafts under plain capitals. Panelled wood ceilings with billeted wall plates to nave and chancel. 2 bay transept with braced crownpost roof and quoined surrounds to windows. Fittings: Marble and gilt reredos, early C20. Late C19 pulpit with ogee arched crocketed panels. Marble Font: round bowl on centre stem with 4 siennese marble detached pillason keyhole step plinth. Piscina to south wall of chapel. Water stoup by South Door. Stained glass window: To north wall at junction with chancel; by Heaton Bulter and Baynes 1911. Mosaic and terracotta panels flanking the reredos depict Gabriel and Oriel. By Caesar Czarnikow 1911. Monuments: White stone tablets in chancel. Remainder of monuments moved to tower walls. North Wall: Various tablets including one to Maria Parratt. Died 1844,by William Pistell. In neo-classical style with grey stone,arched,ground and reclining mourning figure on a couch. Further tablets to south wall. It is possible that the transept was built by the monks of Merton Priory.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p. 207.

Listing NGR: TQ1182953664

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288656
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 207

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01925/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dominic Cole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].