This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 7 October 2021 to reformat text to current standards
SJ 81 SW
WESTON UNDER LIZARD C.P.
Church of St. Andrew.
Parish Church. Mediaeval core to post-Reformation Tower with Nave, circa 1701 attributed to Lady Wilbraham, vestry and family chapel and pew by Ewan Christian of 1876-7, restoration by Street, circa 1869.
Red sandstone ashlar, white to dressings; brown tile roof behind parapet, flat roofs to tower and chapels. Nave without aisles, roofed continuously with chancel, Chancel, West Tower, South Chapel and North Vestry. Entrance to Tower of five stages, diagonal buttresses of four tiers to bottom stage; door of 1701 with arched head, keystone and bolection roll surround; two light trefoil headed windows to first and third levels, single elsewhere; string course and battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles.
Nave: Provincial Baroque, originally of 4½ bays, two now, part screened by Chapel and Vestry, divided by giant pilaster strips, on moulded plinth to pulvinated frieze, cornice and blocking course, quoins and tall round arched windows to each bay with keystone heads and moulded cills; East end retains C14 work, including three light pointed window with reticulated tracery, dutch gable parapet over; chapel and vestry, similar, to sides of East half of nave, two-one-two light windows of byzantine style with labels over; priest's door to left.
Interior: Nave of two bays, chancel expressed by C19 arcaded sides of vestry and chapel; two bays, pointed arches on squat circular columns with moulded capitals; unmoulded, pointed arch to West of Nave; some C12 carved stones in South wall of Tower. C19 ceiling of cove to wide boarded soffit and central barrel vault with exposed trusses; coffered ceilings elsewhere;
Pulpit: circa 1701, timber, octagonal of uneven sides, carved panels with tester over; Font by G. E. Street, circa 1869, circular, with engaged marble columns to base; early C18 wrought iron communion rail with central coat of arms attributed to Bakewell; C19 oak desk lectern on spiral stand and cinquefoil fretted sides; C19 arcaded timber screen to South Chapel;
Glass: East window by Hardman, circa 1876 using some C14 panels, chapel window by Kempe, circa 1895, North West window in Nave is C17 Netherlandish.
Monuments: To commemorate ancestors, in Lady Wilbraham's building, these are mainly by Sir William Wilson, possibly including painted wooden effigies in sanctuary of Sir Hamo De Weston, D.1189 and Sir Hugh De Weston, both in arch recesses with C18 inscriptions; also Baroque aedicules to East end, similar pair flanking East window, marble and slate, Corinthian columns on plinth to inscription tablet and broken segmental pediment and coat of arms in cartouche to tympanum. Smaller similar trios of wall tablets to North and South sides of sanctuary, naive Baroque with enrichments of fruit, cherubs and coats of arms; two wall tablets also aedicular in Nave to Lady Newport of 1709 and 1725, Richard Newport of paired inscription to former, marble and slate, corinthian pilasters cornice, broken at angles, bearing three flaming urns; latter to North with triple layer grounds, swags and cherub below and segmental pediment over with coat of arms; immediately to North, Arts and Crafts memorial of painted stone to Richard Bridgeman, D.1917.
Bridgeman Chapel: East: Marble memorial to Countess of Bradford, D.1897 by J. Taylor; bas relief reclining figure. South: Earl of Bradford, D.1825 by Hollins, marble putto, torch sarcophagus, Earl of Bradford, D.1865, marble, Greek revival, Countess of Bradford, D.1842 by Hollino, marble relief reclining figure and angels over, Earl of Bradford, D.1800 by Rossi, marble relief seated girl against segmental pediment. Painted hatchment in tower.
Listing NGR: SJ8061710650