Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHARINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295074.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2019 at 02:08:03.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Harborough (District Authority)
Houghton on the Hill
National Grid Reference:
SK 67636 03303



SK 60 SE MAIN STREET (South Side) 5/22 29.12.66 Church of St. Catharine GV II*

Church. C14-C15, restored 1861, chancel partly rebuilt 1857, and N porch of 1874. N porch designed by C. Kirk of Sleaford. Ashlar, coursed squared stone and rubble stone with stone dressings and plain tile roofs, part parapetted. Stone coped gables with finials and angle and diagonal buttresses with set-offs. W tower and spire, nave, aisles, chancel and N and S porches. C14 tower of 3 stages with plinth, moulded bands and angle buttresses with set-offs. Small W door, W window with Y tracery, N 1-light with clock face on front, further 1-lights to S.W.stair and 4 2-light bell openings with Curvilinear tracery. Hood mould continues round tower. Above is a head frieze, battlements and recessed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes and finial with weathercock. Quadruple chamfered nave arch, the inner on polygonal responds. C14 4 bay N arcade with double chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers. C15 4 bay S arcade, hollow and curved chamfered arches, former to ground, latter on shafts. C19 4 bay roof. C14 N aisle but with late Perp windows. 3 3-lights and E 4-light : 3 with c1900 stained glass. Mid C14 sedilia remains in part. C15 roof and battlemented parapet. N door. N porch, dated 1874, with hollow chamfered and moulded doorway on shafted responds. Double chamfered chancel arch. C14 chancel, partly rebuilt 1857. 2 N windows with Y and Reticulated tracery and C19 stained glass and 2 similar S windows. S door. E window with restored Curvilinear tracery forming mouchettes. C19 stained glass. C19 5 bay roof with curved braces to collars. C15 S aisle, the E window with stained glass by Ward and Hughes London, 1891, and 3 S windows by T. Curtis of same firm, 1905. Piscina and double chamfered S doorway. C15 restored roof. C15 s porch, the openwork gable with short wall posts, tie beam, curved braces, and curved struts. Welsh slate roof. C13 round front on 8 short shafts. Marble wall monument to Mrs. A. Bent, died 1677. Cartouche with angel heads, the inscription in place of arms. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6763603303


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Leicestershire and Rutland, (1877)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00535/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr P J Rawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].