CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1295154
Date first listed:
01-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295154.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 14:08:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Melton (District Authority)
Parish:
Ab Kettleby
National Grid Reference:
SK 72425 22872

Details

AB KETTLEBY CHURCH LANE SK 72 22 (west side) of St James 21/232 Church of St James Greater 1.1.68 the Greater II*

GV

Church. C13 and C14, restored 1852-3 by Broadbent and Hawley; C19 N aisle. Ironstone with limestone dressings, lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, S porch and W tower. 2-bay chancel has 4-light E window with Perpendicular tracery and hood mould. 2-light windows, that to SE with cusped Y tracery, that to SW with flattened arched head and cinquefoil-headed lights, both with hood moulds. 1-light window to NW with chamfered round-arched heads. Priests door to N wave-moulded, with hood mould. Nave has 3-window clerestory of 2-light windows with renewed Decorated tracery, flattened arched heads and hood moulds. N aisle has 2-light windows with Decorated-style tracery, except for 1-light W window with cusped ogee-arched head, all with hood moulds. Shafted N door with many- moulded head and hood mould. S aisle has 3-light window to SE with intersecting tracery, hood mould and label stops, 2-light window to SW with plate tracery with upright oval to head, hood mould and label stops, and 2- light W window with cusped tracery and hood mould. S door has 2 orders of shafts with fillets, many moulded head and hood mould in porch with double- chamfered doorway and stone-coped gable. 3-stage tower has lancet window to bottom stage W, niche to middle stage S and twin bell chamber openings recessed in round-headed arches with smll chamfer. Pointed arched bell- chamber openings separated by square shafts with moulded capitals and vesica piscis to spandrel above, nailhead ornament to latter and heads of openings. Off-set clasping buttresses, battlemented parapet and recessed octagonal spire with 3 tiers of small quatrefoil lucarnes to cardinal directions. Interior: Chancel has piscina with wave-moulded arch, hood mould and octagonal drain. Nave has 3-bay arcades, that to S C13 with circular pier to SE with nailhead onzament to circular moulded capital, square pier to SW with four demi-shafts, stiff-leaf to capitals with heads to angle, keeled E respond with nailhead ornament to capital, polygonal respond to W with moulded capital; double-chamfered arches. N arcade is C19 and copies that to S. Triple-chamfered tower arch with keeled responds and dogtooth and nailhead ornament to capitals. S aisle has piscina with many-moulded cusped arch and sexfoiled drain. Some C15 bench ends. Charity board dated 1778. Large circular stove by Gurney with crown finial. Monument: Brass plaques to Joye Elizabeth, wife of William Neale d.1604 to John Neale d.1606. Large wall monument to Everard Digby of Holywell d.1628 of limestone with Ionic columns on curved console brackets, bearing entablature with vine trail to frieze, obelisk finials flanking coat of arm under semicircular pediment. Columns frame inscription panel which bears an elegiac poem. Wall momments to Christopher Dexter d.1726 and Mathew Dexter d.1728. Slate wall monuments to members of Cross family 1791-1826. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p.71.

Listing NGR: SK7242522872

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
189942
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 71

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/14789/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].