THE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1295156
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
THE HALL, 56, HIGH STREET EAST

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295156.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 05:14:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE HALL, 56, HIGH STREET EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Uppingham
National Grid Reference:
SP 86847 99610

Details

SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM HIGH STREET EAST 4/45 (south side)

10.11.55 No 56 (The Hall) GV II*

Large house, now boarding house for Uppingham School. Dated 1612 (though datestone is a replacement) with later alterations and additions. Ashlar, with Collyweston stone slate roof,coped gables and moulded stone ridge and end stacks. Main block U-plan. South front,remodelled C18, is of ironstone ashlar with paler band between storeys. Nine window range. 6/6 sash windows in raised architraves. Off-centre door in shouldered architrave with cornice and pediment over. North front 1-3-1 with projecting gables. Left hand gable has datestone: blocked 2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned window and 9/9 sash window beneath, in raised architrave. Right hand gable has a similar blocked window and 2 6/6 sash windows. Central part, extended C18, has 2 storeys of 6/6 sash windows and projecting central porch. Original wall survives inside and retains part of 3-light mullioned window. Wing to north-east, C17 in origin (to level of cornice) heightened C19, has gabled stair turret in angle and ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows. Tall C19 wing to west and long C19 wing to north. Interior damaged by fire c.1970, but retains 2 stone 4-centred arched fireplaces (reset) and a fully-panelled room (the panelling of 2 periods, probably c.1700 and mid C18) with a fine mid C18 fireplace. Other panelling was imported to replace that lost in the fire.

Listing NGR: SP8684799610

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186783
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07110/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tomalin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].