CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1295308
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295308.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:09:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whissendine
National Grid Reference:
SK 83312 14309

Details

WHISSENDINE

SK 81 SW MAIN STREET (North side)

5/150 Church of St. Andrew

14.6.54

GV I

Large church of C13-C15, restored 1870. Restoration by Sir G.G. Scott and J. Goddard. Ashlar and coursed squared stone with parapetted, battlemented and Collyweston slate roofs. W tower, nave, aisles, transepts, chancel and S porch. Fine C14 W tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses, the top parts moulded, W door and window linked by giant arch with 3 orders of shafts, 3 ogee-headed niches above, and tall elaborate bell-stage. Double 2-light bell openings with similar blank openings either side and shafts. Staircase on SW corner. Gargoyles, head frieze, parapet with arched openings and pinnacles with octagonal spirelets. Nave has C13 5 bay arcades, many moulded arches with head-moulds and head-stops on circular and quatrefoil piers. Perp clerestory with 6 large windows either side and fleuron frieze and battlements outside. 7 bay low-pitch tie beam roof with bosses, restored 1728, and with wall pieces and brace supported by 12 wooden seated figures under nodding-ogee canopies. C14 aisles have plinths, angle buttresses, head and fleuron friezes and battlements. Restored lean-to roof. Central N and S doors with 2 Perp windows either side. Similar W windows. C14 transepts, N with double chamfered arches to aisle and chancel, S with many hollow moulded arches to aisle and chancel. N window has Curvilinear tracery, S is incomplete but with Perp tracery. Chancel has windows of 1865, Perp tracery to E, with stained glass by Kempe of 1892, and Curvilinear to N and S. Roof is 4 bay low-pitch tie beam with wall pieces and braces on head corbels. Below a painted wooden high relief coat of arms and inscription records that Lady Abigail Sherard 'new roofed chansel, 1640'. Perp S porch with hollow chamfered arch and wrought iron gates, probably C19, and C13 S door arch. Screen between S aisle and S transept is C15 with ribbed coving and C16 doors. Brought from former chapel of St. John's College, Cambridge, at time of restoration. Font is Perp and octagonal with quatrefoils. Later base and C19 carved oak cover. 2 C12/C13 stone coffin lids in S aisle. C18 wall monuments and 2 painted hatchments. C19 brass lectern and carved stone pulpit of 1888. Carved, painted and gilded reredos and carved oak chancel panelling and pews of cl900. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK8331214309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186720
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)
'Whites Directory' in Leicestershire and Rutland, (1877)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14388/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].