CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1295354
Date first listed:
24-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, HARLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295354.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:48:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, HARLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cressage
National Grid Reference:
SJ 59227 04009

Details

CRESSAGE C.P. HARLEY ROAD SJ 50 SE (east side) 4/34 Christ Church GV II Parish church. 1841 by Edward Haycock. Limestone ashlar, machine tile roofs with coped verges and moulded eaves cornices. Nave and chancel in one with short sanctuary and integral west tower. Tower: narrow in 3 stages with embattled parapet and heavy corner pinnacles; broad lancets with hoodmoulds to belfry, west window has 2 pointed lights and circular opening above, pointed double-chamfered west doorway with hoodmould. Nave and chancel in one: buttressed in 5 bays with broad lancets linked by continuous hoodmould; short sanctuary has an east window of 3 stepped lancets. Interior: triple- lancet east window contains roundels of mid-C19 stained glass in Flemish style by David Evans of Shrewsbury (c.f. Church of St Mary, Harley C.P.), given by Revd. Richard Scott, organ gallery set on cast-iron pillars at west end; re-used C17 wainscot panelling to nave, medieval glazed floor tiles in sanctuary; octagonal pulpit made up of re-used panelling (with inscription dated 1635) from pew in former church of St Samson; the circular Romanesque-style font (1842) is said to be a copy of that formerly in St Samson's. That church (N.G.R. SJ 5893 0436) was demolished in 1840 and Christ Church built as its replacement. B.o.E., p.116; V.C.H. VIII (1968), p.78; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), Pp.487-8; Appendix p.986.

Listing NGR: SJ5922704009

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
258816
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 487-8
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 986
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1968), 78
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 116

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09209/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].