CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1295576
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295576 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 14:16:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Rimpton
National Grid Reference:
ST 61043 21858

Details

ST62SW RIMPTON CP CHURCH LANE (North side)

5/110 Church of Saint Mary

19.4.61

GV I

Church. Early C13 and later. Local stone, crudely bounded with Ham stone to chancel, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiles over 3-base courses stone slates to chancel, elsewhere lead roofs behind crenellated parapets; coped East gable with cross finial. Cruciform plan, with 3-bay nave, West tower and South porch alongside South transept, and small vestry alongside North transept. Tower has angle offset buttresses for two-thirds height; smallish C14 traceried 2-West window, then lancet slits on North and South sides at ringing chamber level; above a string course, then 2-light cusped C14 traceried windows with pierced timber baffle boards on all 4-sides; capping string course with gargoyles and shallow battlemented copings. Stair turret to North-east corner. Chancel has 3-light plate tracery East window in a nearly semi- circular arched recess having side impost stones but no label. Pair of simple cusped lancet windows with labels and figurehead stops to both North and South walls, and to the latter a simple pointed arched doorway between the windows. South transept has a crude plinth, full height angled corner buttresses, high string course with gargoyles and battlemented coping: The South window a 3-light C15 early pointed arch traceried window, the East window a flat-headed 3-light window of the late C15. The North transept matches, but the East window is a C19 copy. The nave has full height buttresses with elaborately moulded offsets, with circa 1400 window tracery of a very rural character. The South porch has a segmental pointed arch of 2-orders to the entrance, a small 2-light C15 window in South wall, and stone benches inside; C14 doorway into the church has moulded pointed arch and jambs, without capitals, and a C17 door; good statue niche over with cusped arched head. Internally the roofs of a late C19 pattern. The chancel and South transept arches probably C15, with good small capitals; the tower arch of distinctly rural character and possibly earlier; the North transept arch a C19 rebuild. Fittings of notes include an early C17 pulpit, a good collection of bench ends with poppy-heads, 2-piscinae of the C13, a holy water stoop, a C14/15 octagonal font with crude carved panels and a C17 cover. The church "repaired" in 1827, 1875 and 1921; architects not known.

Listing NGR: ST6104421858

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262725
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11301/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Barker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].