CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1295876
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295876.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 23:24:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Mells
National Grid Reference:
ST 72790 49280

Details

MELLS CP ST7249

10/24 Church of St Andrew

11.3.68

GV I

Parish Church. Predominantly late C15, tower of mid C16, mid C19 restoration. Doulting ashlar; low pitched lead roofs. Clerestoried nave with north and south aisles, continuing as chapels clasping the chancel; south porch and vestry, both of 2-storeys; west tower. Gabled and embattled Perpendicular. 4-stage tower has set back buttresses connected across the angle terminating in detached pinnacles at the third stage; the diagonals in turn become pinnacles finishing just under the main corner pinnacles. C19 five light reticulated west window; above blind tracery of 3-lights, identical bell openings with quatrefoil interlace overlying. Buttressed porch with ogee gable and pinnacles, polygonal vestry of 1485 has plain 2-light openings and ares of Garland, its benefactor. Remainder of windows of 3-lights, C19 reticulated east window. Scraped interior on elaborate tile floors; fan vault to tower and porch, restored roofs of C19, except a lean-to in north chapel of C15 springing from angelic corbels. Arcaded nave of 4-bays, 4 have mouldings which are repeated on all other arches. Important furniture, particularly to Horner family in the north chapeli equine memorial by Munnings of 1920 on Lutyens base to Frances Horner; further tablets and a chest tomb of C17, C18 and C19 as well as east window of 1930 by Charles Nicholson. Gesso plaque of 1886 by Burne-Jones to Laura Lyttleton under tower; opposite cut lettering by Gill of 1916 to Raymond Asquith, above bronze wreath again by Lutyens. west end of south aisle has brass plaque of 1826 to Fussell family by Gingell of Bath; adjacent framed tapestry after Burne-Jones by Lady Horner. Further lesser memorials particularly in South chapel which also has a piscina. Benches of mid C19 though some Jacobean examples remain, others reused as panelling; chest of 1640; reading desk of C19 in Italian style; 3 brass chandaliers, largest to chancel dated 1721; Norman tub font. Mostly Cl9 stained glass; west window by Hudson, east window by Hardman, though retains of earlier work in north aisle and vestry. Tower has clock of C17 and peal of 8 bells, earliest of 1717; sanctus to chancel roof.

Listing NGR: ST7279249288

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266724
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01496/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G F J Russell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].