Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1295959.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-May-2021 at 18:30:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 48105 29464



869/6/262 THE SQUARE 24-MAR-50 (North side) CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

GV II Town church, just off the High Street, the exterior almost wholly obscured by adjacent buildings. C13 doorway. Rebuilding of the church is recorded in 1475-7. It was used as a school in the C17 and restored to use as a church in 1672. Thorough refurbishment following a serious fire in 1978. MATERIALS: Knapped flint with freestone quoins, partly rendered, tiled roofs. PLAN: Nave and chancel in one; W tower/porch.

EXTERIOR: Externally all that can be seen of the church is part of the W face of the tower, the upper stage of the S face can be seen from The Square and is an important element in the townscape close to Winchester Cathedral. The upper parts are rendered with ashlar quoins exposed. The porch tower has a moulded W doorway with a 2-light Decorated style traceried window above. The upper windows of the tower are 2-light and chamfered in square-headed frames. The tower has an embattled parapet and a SW stair turret rising above the tower roof as an octagonal turret with embattled parapet.

INTERIOR: The interior is an almost square single space dominated by a large stained glass east window and the unusual vernacular roof with a completely plain finish, dating from c1672. The roof has 4 tie beam trusses with a king post with diagonal and horizontal struts, and 2 tiers of purlins. Organ gallery in the tower. C13 doorway in N wall. Remains of small slit window in the W wall. Three puzzling high-set blind arches in the E wall, all ogee-headed, one cusped. The S wall has a chamfered aumbrey with pyramid stops. 1860 Caen stone font with carved octagonal stone bowl with fleurons carved under the bowl and an octagonal stem. Panelled dado to walls, mostly C20, with C17 style dado to the N and S walls at the E end commemorating individuals who died in World War I. Choir stalls with poppyhead ends. The church also has a number of wall monuments, including some of C18 date.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The Church of St Lawrence has special interest as a small town church with medieval origins and an unusual vernacular roof, with completely plain finish, dating from c1672. A number of wall monuments also add significance as they testify to the continuing importance of the church to its community. A C17 style dado also functions as a memorial to individuals who died in the First World War.

SOURCES: Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, 1967, p692 The Rector and Churchwardens, The Church of Lawrence-in-the Square,Winchester, n.d.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967)
The Rector, , Churchwardens, , The Church of Laurence-in-the-Square, Winchester


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/06172/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Michael J. Weatherley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].