Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296098.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:14:33.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
Marston Magna
National Grid Reference:
ST 59344 22340



9/57 Church of St Mary



Church. Pre-conquest origins, largely rebuilt in c. 1360, C15 Norman Chapel Local stone, squared and random coursed mostly, with Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiles over base courses of stone slates, North slope chancel all stone slates, North aisle and chapel lead covered. Plan: Chancel 2-bays, nave 3-bays, West tower, North aisle and chapel 3-bays, South porch Chancel has plain triple lancet East window; on South side a corner pilaster: 3-light hollow chamfer mullioned window of middle C15, plain pointed arch doorway and pointed arched 2-light window of middle C14; to North a corner pilaster, a slit window with flat head, uncertain date, and mullioned window of C15 - between these 2 windows herringbone stonework: at low level on North and East walls stonework earlier than remainder of church. Nave has corner offset buttress and pilaster on North side, with 3-light pointed arch window of middle C14; 2 similar windows South side, with offset buttresses each bay; South porch plain, with 2-centre arch doorway arch and plain jambs. North aisle and chapel has angle and bay offset buttresses, string course and plain parapet with gargoyles to corners, and middle C14 traceried windows with pointed arches to ends and 2 bays; to West bay North wall or 4-centre arched doorway with moulded jambs. West tower of 3 stages, with angle buttresses, plinth, string course and crenellated top, with stair turret to South-east corner; gargoyles and small pinnacles to each corner, long lead spout North side: West door with 2-centre arch and moulded jambs - no capitals; C14 traceried window above with label mould incorporating 8-petal roses at bosses, then clock face; to belfry simple C14 traceried windows all 4 sides with pierced baffle boards. C20 weathervane North-west corner; 4 bells; C20 clock. Internally, rib and plaster panel pointed barrel vault to chancel; the Easternmost windows set in C11 reveals, the South-west window has early glass fragments; chancel arch 2-centred of middle C14. Crown post roof trusses over nave carrying circa 1900 boards and rafters; unplastered walls; pointed arch with bell capitals into North aisle and chapel; C18 timber pulpit on C20 base, with backboard and ogee top tester; Norman lead-lined font with cylindrical base and decorated scallops. North chapel and aisle of great interest: C15 statue niche left of alter; several traces of wall paintings on North Wall; C15 roof frame; to West end a rather primitive C15 timber screen somewhat adapted to form wind lobby to North door and choir gallery, in which now stored a clock mechanism of 1710.

Listing NGR: ST5934122341


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/05794/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ed Lorch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].