THE CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1296202
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
THE CASTLE, CASTLE CORNER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296202.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 23:47:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CASTLE, CASTLE CORNER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Beckington
National Grid Reference:
ST 79994 51502

Details

ST8051 BECKINGTON CP CASTLE CORNER (East side)

15/24 The Castle (previously listed as Ravenscroft School (Beckington Castle)) 11.3.68

GV II*

House. Early C17, late C19 restoration. Rendered, stone slate roof, 3 tall gables with copings and finials, 2 similar gables to each return, ashlar stacks, moulded around caps. Tall rectangular structure. 3 storeys and attics, 2 windows to first floor, 6-light moulded stone-mullioned windows, 3 4-light openings to second floor, 2-light openings to attic; each window hollow moulded, each light with a segmental head; C19 6-light reproduction windows to ground floor; contiguous weathered strings above window heads; C19 leaded lights to all openings. Door opening to left return in a 3-storey flat roofed porch; 3-light hollow moulded stone-mullioned window to each of first and second floors; door opening in a chamfered 4-centred stone surround, plank door, strap hinges. Interior with plaster strapwork ceiling to left ground floor room; dogleg staircase, splat balusters. Rubble wall to forecourt 2 metres high; to left pair of rubble and ashlar gate piers in a mock military style; to right gateway with a reused chamfered ashlar 4-centred head incorporating 4 foiled niches. (Country Life, April 4, 1908)

Listing NGR: ST7999451502

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266971
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 4 April, (1908)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00728/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald J Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].