CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1296267

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, KETTLEWELL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296267 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 02:43:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, KETTLEWELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Conistone with Kilnsey

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 98096 67561

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 9867 CONISTONE WITH KILNSEY KETTLEWELL ROAD (west side) Conistone

24/58 Church of St. Mary

10.9.54

GV II

Church . Cll or C12 origins, rebuilt 1846, by Sharpe and Paley, retaining C14 features. Limestone rubble, gritstone dressings, graduated stone slate roof. Quoins. 5-bay nave with south porch, north aisle and bellcot, lower 3-bay chancel with north vestry. In Norman style. Gabled porch to west has round-arched entrance with hoodmould; similar door to chancel and round headed lancet windows throughout. The bellcot to west gable has twin roll- moulded arches and a gable. The east window is of 3 lights. The vestry east window is reset, of 2 triangular-headed lights with chamfered mullion. Stone copings to all gables. Interior: the 2 western arches of the north arcade are early Norman, the round arches on rectangular piers; responds with plain abaci. The 2 eastern arches are C14 double chamfered and pointed, on octagonal piers. The font has a possibly Norman square tapered bowl, a restored stem and chamfered base. The choir stalls have linen-fold panelling; the oak pews are 1957 by Thompson of Kilburn. At the time of rebuilding the church was part of the large parish of Burnsall and the Vicar, the Rev. William Bury, lived at Chapel House, Kilnsey.

Listing NGR: SD9809667561

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324645

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing