NORWOOD PARK FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1296421
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1950
Statutory Address:
NORWOOD PARK FARMHOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296421.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:24:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
NORWOOD PARK FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Glastonbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 52554 38982

Details

NORWOOD PARK 1. 1133 Norwood Park Farmhouse ST 53 NW 4/101 21.6.50. II* 2. About 1480. Built as residence of the abbots of Glastonbury. 2 storeys. Mixture of blue lias and rubble with some ashlar dressings. 2 gabled and buttressed wings with substantial modern extensions to each side. Pantile roofs. Left gable has parapet with saddle-stone. Original 1st floor window of 2 pointed lights under square head. Small quatrefoil in right-hand gable. 4-centred archway to right. Restored or modern 2 and 3 light mullioned windows. Main entrance front faces east. Gable-end to right has diagonal buttresses. Raised parapet with saddlestone. Projecting central bay through both storeys with stringcourses and crenellated parapet. 3 windows, paired pointed lights under rectangular heads with additional single lights in sides of bay. Inset carved panel with mitre and initials I S (John de Selwode) over ground floor. Small 1-storey porch dated 1910. Internal structure of medieval portion is basically original. Moulded beams in ground and 1st floor rooms, and original internal partition with door survives on upper floor. In spite of additions this remains an important building in Glastonbury MB.

Listing NGR: ST5255438982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
266008
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01045/30
Rights: Copyright IoE David Sanderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].