This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1296434



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Yeovil

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261364

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



7/28 Hendford Manor



Large town house converted to offices of c1720 with later alterations to left-hand and right-hand (projecting). (Vacant Jan. 1983). Ham stone ashlar with Welsh slate roof between coped gables, chimney stacks removed. 2-storeys with attic and basement of 7 bays: the main West facade has plinth (with four 2-light basement windows now blocked, rusticated quoins, band cill courses and moulded string at first floor level. Central 8-panel front door (up 5 steps) with projecting porch of c1900 design, using pairs of freely interpreted Corinthian columns on high plinths carrying open segmental pediment, with bulls-eye window under: parapet crowned with 2 urns: ground floor windows simple cruiform wooden casements with leaded lights set in plain architraves; first floor has seven 16-pane sashes with medium glazing bars, in simple architraves: dentilled cornice above, with the piers only remaining of a (presumed) balustrade. 3-dormer windows with segmental lead covered roofs to alternate bays-having 16-pane casements. To right-hand a matching extension of full height but apparently only single storey with basement possibly c1860, with hipped Welsh slate roof. No windows to sides, but to front a blocked basement window and a large triple window in quasi-Venetian pattern, with triangular pediment. To left- hand a plainer 2-storey extension, of uncertain date of local stone cut and squared, with Welsh slate hipped roof having 3-bays of 3-light windows in simple raised architraved and mullioned surrounds; barred windows: to the right a simple doorway with flat stone hood. Interior not inspected. Built by Hooper family c1750 (Solicitors): enlarged by Edwin Newman in 1840, purchased by Yeovil Borough Council 1938.

Listing NGR: ST5543215722

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 55432 15722


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296434 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 05:00:56.

End of official listing