DEWHURST ST MARY JMI SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1296463
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
DEWHURST ST MARY JMI SCHOOL, CHURCHGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DEWHURST ST MARY JMI SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296463 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:02:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
DEWHURST ST MARY JMI SCHOOL, CHURCHGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Broxbourne (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 35020 02574

Details

1. 5251 CHESHUNT CHURCHGATE (north side) Cheshunt Dewhurst St Mary JMI School TL 3502 . 12/26 11.6.54 (Formerly listed as Dewhurst School)

II* GV

2. 1640 for Richard Dewhurst. Rare example of red brick school building from period. Single storey and attics, modern tile roof. E elevation has 6 brick-coped gables set over 4-light ground floor brick-mullioned windows which are separated by moulded, stepped buttresses. Centre 2 windows longer than others. Continuous plinth. Large ovolo-moulded floor band RD 1640 plaque to 3rd gable from left. 1-bay yellow stock brick extension on N, continuing floor band. S end has tall chimney stack of 6 square conjoined shafts, and on S end of W elevation is a square projecting staircase tower, gabled on 2 sides, with chamfered arch-headed door on S ground floor and date plaque to gable., Taller gabled square projection N of this, but remainder of W side has an attached C19 gabled extension in salmon pink brick which repeats the mullioned windows and moulded buttresses of main building.

Listing NGR: TL3502002574

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157284
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/10387/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].