CHURCH HOUSES CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1296492
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH HOUSES CHURCH OF ST MARY, MACKERIDGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH HOUSES CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296492 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:18:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH HOUSES CHURCH OF ST MARY, MACKERIDGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Ryedale (District Authority)
Parish:
Farndale East
National Park:
NORTH YORK MOORS
National Grid Reference:
SE 67253 97585

Details

FARNDALE EAST MACKERIDGE LANE SE 69 NE (north side, off) Church Houses 4/53 Church of St Mary 14.7.55 - II Church. 1831, with baptistry added during restorations of 1907-14. By William Stonehouse with restoration and extension by Temple Moore. Herringbone-tooled sandstone on chamfered plinth to south, roughly tooled stone to north; tooled and ashlar dressings; slate roof. West baptistry, vestry and porch, with bellcote; 5-bay nave and chancel. West end: shallow projection to centre, on tall chamfered plinth and with pent roof, contains paired square-headed lights. Similar windows to north and south. Gable-end bellcote has angle turrets with pyramidal caps. Baptistry: projects forward from nave. Shouldered opening to south beneath flat hoodmould. Double board doors are recessed forming a porch within the building. Chamfered and quoined door surround with pyramid stops is square-headed and shouldered, and has segmental relieving arch of voussoirs. Nave: 2 windows to both sides, of paired trefoil-headed lights, with flat hoodmoulds to south. Offset buttresses to east. Chancel: to south, narrow, shouldered priest's door in quoined surround flanked by 2-light windows with curvilinear tracery beneath flat stopped hoodmoulds. To north, window of 3 cusped lights in quoined surround. East end: dwarf clasping buttresses. Pointed window of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery beneath stopped hoodmould. Cavetto-moulded eaves course to all parts. Window surrounds and mullions throughout are chamfered. Coped gables and gable cross to east. Interior: tall pointed baptistry arch with irregularly quoined jambs. Low segmental chancel arch with roll hoodmould on attached columns with imposts cavetto-moulded on underside. King-post roof to nave and barrel-vaulted ceiling to chancel.

Listing NGR: SE6725397585

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
328887
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08026/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerald N. Halliday. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].