CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1296537
Date first listed:
27-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296537.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:32:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stretton Sugwas
National Grid Reference:
SO 45964 42026

Details

STRETTON SUGWAS CP - SO 44 SE 5/67 Church of St Mary Magdalene 27.1.67

- II*

Parish church. 1877 - 80 by ? Cheiake on new site incorporating a number of old pieces from the demolished church. Coursed and squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. North-west tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel and north vestry. North-west tower: four stages with pyramidal roof, sandstone rubble to lower stage, close-studded timber-framing to upper sections, re-using old timbers. Re-set in stone north wall is a 2-light window in square head with two trefoiled-ogee headed lights; pair of louvred vents to each side of bell stage. Nave: C19 windows to south wall with single-light window with trefoil- headed lights and quatrefoils and trefoils in roundels to right of timber-framed south porch with C19 square-headed doorway. Two re-set windows to north aisle, one late C14 window of two trefoiled-ogee headed lights in square head. Eastern C15 window of two cinquefoiled lights in a square head. Chancel: C19 windows, two 2-light windows to south and 3-light window with flowing tracery to east. The vestry contains a re-set early C14 window in the east wall of two trefoil- headed lights and a square-headed window of two cinquefoil headed lights in the north wall. Interior: re-set in the south wall of the tower is a doorway of c1150 with square jambs and lintel and semi-circular tympanum with a carving of Samson opening the jaws of the lion; on south wall of nave: incised slab to Richard Grevelhay and his wife, 1473, in contemporary civil dress under a canopy. Font: C13, round bowl with round stem and chamfered base. Fragment of C15 screen incorporated into C19 screen in vestry. (RCHM, Vol II, p 176; BoE, p 295).

Listing NGR: SO4596442026

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
154252
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 176
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 295

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01499/21
Rights: Copyright IoE G. Jane Fleet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].